Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

My name is Jessica and I'm 22 years old and I just moved to Mobile from Birmingham, AL. This is my first semester at USA. I graduated from Auburn University in 2009 and have a degree in Political Science with a minor in Spanish. I grew up in Pelham, Al and lived there until I went to Auburn at 18. I then lived in Auburn for 4 years and that was the greatest experience of my life. I then moved back to Pelham in May 2010 and now moved to Mobile in January 2011. I'm an only child and I really don't like it. I am far from spoiled but hate that all the attention is on me. I love traveling, meeting new people, and exploring new cultures. I studied abroad in Spain one summer while I was at Auburn; I have also been to Australia, Canada, Portugal, France, and most recently Curacao which is a small Caribbean island next to Aruba. I also love all types of music and dancing. I like to describe myself as loud, vibrant, eclectic, and colorful. My life is full of color and I love to have fun. Why should anyone have a boring life? I know I sure don't!

Since I have been out of school for almost 2 years, I have learned a lot about myself and what I want out of life. From college at Auburn, to moving back home, and now going back to college in a new town, I have a better grasp on what I want to do with my life and I realize that helping at-risk kids is my passion. The main reason why I'm back in school is because I graduated with a degree that couldn't get me a job in an economy that had no jobs. I want a degree in something that I can get a job in, and I want a job where I can help people and know I'm making a difference. I know my purpose in life is to be a change maker. Although my major is secondary education/math, I know that isn't the only thing I will be doing in my life. I have so many interests. I want to live in Africa and teach kids English, I want to be a missionary, I want to be a counselor and get my Phd, and I could even see myself working in the federal government and utilizing my Political Science degree. I haven't even ruled out law school, which is what I wanted to do for 4 years of my life while at Auburn. My passion is helping and meeting the needs of others. I love to talk and solve people's problems and make people happy. Making others happy makes me happy. I believe that entering the field of education, specifically me becoming a math teacher, will open the door for all the possibilities and opportunities that arise in helping kids. I want to work with students that didn't come from where I came from and have different experiences that I never had to deal with. I want to try and show them that there are so many opportunities in life. I can't wait to begin this new chapter in my life!

4 comments:

  1. Jessica, it is so nice to meet you. It's so wonderful that you are a part of making a difference in people's life. I look forward to collaborating with you in EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! I don't know who you are but I can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    Wow, you seemed to have accomplished a lot in your life so far. I noticed that you graduated when you were 20, and I was wondering if you homeschooled or something since you finished college at such a young age. I also love traveling, and I plan on teaching in another country as well. I just wanted to welcome you to EDM 310, and I look forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was very informative. Your have some great goals that, when achieved will make an impact on many people all over the world.

    ReplyDelete