Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blog Post #5


Resources used in creating a podcast


I knew there were a lot of podcasts and resources for iPods out there, but I never realized there was so much. I first started realizing it when I watched the iSchool movie made by the high school student. There are so many learning resources for students of all ages. The items of interest to me are the ESL podcasts and Pod city guides. I have a minor in Spanish from Auburn but I’m still not as proficient as I would like to be, so this would be a great thing to listen to while I’m exercising or driving. I also love to travel, so the city guides podcast would be another helpful tool to me when I’m in a new city. Learning about all the new learning resources out there really makes me want to use my iPod and take advantage of the techno world.


When I become a math teacher I will be teaching students who have grown up with technology their entire lives. It makes sense for podcasts to be a useful tool in teaching in the classroom because it is a form of technology that they are accustomed to. I think this would be a good way to engage students actively in their learning and for them to be excited about what I would be teaching. Not only is this a fun way for students to learn and teachers to teach, students will still be learning the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy in the process.  At the end of the day, if students are still able to master the concepts of comprehension, synthesis, and evaluation, then this form of technology has done its job.  Podcasting also lets students be creative. Creativity can be stifled very easily but that puts the kids at a disadvantage for their future. Finally, this is a great way for parents to see what their kids are doing in school. I think that parent involvement and interaction is a necessity for a child’s success in school.

Vodcasting is a form of video podcasting and that is the form of podcasting that my group used on our project. We went around a school and made a video of the types of technology used in the classroom.



I thought this third grade blog was phenomenal. I never imagined that third graders were capable of doing so much. I think this podcast idea for this age group is a great idea because it reminded me of the shows I used to watch on APT (Alabama Public Television). I remember this show called Reading Rainbow where different kids would each talk about a certain book they had read, but they wouldn't give away the end because they wanted the viewer to read the book for themselves.  One of they boys did that same technique for the Poetry segment of the podcast. I also enjoyed the Vocabulary Vault. Listening to this podcast affirms that these kids are learning not only technology but Bloom's Taxonomy at this young age.

man and rainbow

2 comments:

  1. Well done. Your interest and enthusiasm is evident. Put that iPod to work and be ready for your technologically literate kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I think that using podcast for your class in the future is a great tool especially for math. I agree students will be eager to learning because as you said students will have grown up with this type of technology. Creativity is important and podcasting allows students to demonstrate their creativity, I just wish I had these tools around when I was in school. I also agree with you about parent involvement it's a vital part of a child's education and success. As a future teacher, parent involvement is something I am going to strongly encourage.

    ReplyDelete