Monday, February 28, 2011

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student

I believe that through experience and continuous learning I will be prepared to be a teacher of a networked student, and right now I have the motivation and the drive to want to be this type of teacher. I think this video reinforces the idea that the definition of a teacher is changing. I love how the 21st century teacher is more of a mediator and/or guide the the techno-savvy world. Without us, these kids wouldn't know how to use the technology around them. So even though the argument can be made that teachers could become extinct, I think that a teacher should always be in a child's life to just be as simple as a role model and mentor.

I want to work in an inner-city school and I really don't think that I'll be faced with the idea of a "networked student." My role in the classroom will not only be a guide, mentor, and educator, but also a disciplinarian. I know that a lot of kids coming from low income families don't have the technology at home to be able to explore all the fabulous "extras" in our society, such as blogs, Ipads, etc. Some of the kids need to just learn the basics of a computer like Microsoft Word and how to research basic information. Also, if kids are struggling with basic educational concepts (math, reading, graduation exams) then that would be the central focus during the school day, and not the technology promotion.

However, I do think that I could utilize the technology to help these kids learn better. I just know that a lot of schools are behind the times and the buildings and the administration still live in the 1970s, regardless if they have computers and smartboards in the school or not. The teachers/administration won't let the kids use the technology (new computers, smartboards, Ipods) because they are afraid they will steal or damage them. I know a middle school in Mobile that won't let the kids take their textbooks home because they never bring them back at the end of the school year and will never pay for them.

I know I'm probably getting off subject but when I watched this video, these are the things that came to mind. I believe that all teachers should be open to this concept of the networked student and teach kids how to learn through technology. Even if I'm the only math teacher at my school that is open and willing to use this technology then I will try my best to do that. However, I think that in reality, I won't have the option to be a teacher for a networked student.

Welcome to my PLE (Personal Learning Environment)

After watching this video, my opinion about me not being a teacher that would really be able to utilize technology, etc. in the classroom has become conflicted. I think that is so cool that this girl has a paperless science class and can do everything on-line. Using symbaloo to arrange all her links/websites seem so efficient and fun. I think that doing this would make a child WANT to learn. As she said in the video, "It's not a matter of when you're going to do your work; it's a matter of when and how you are going to do it." She also said that although it can be a distraction, you have an inclination to be responsible. You have so much freedom researching and doing your schoolwork this way; I think the idea is brilliant. I definitely want to utilize this type of learning environment in my classroom. This would give my students a feeling of accomplishment after they have created a glogster or a blog or researched an entire project on their own. I think this is a great way to teach kids.

This also made me realize that I need to have a better PLE for myself. I could utilize internet tools so much more efficiently than I'm doing and not only would it be fun, but it would make my life so much easier too.

Teachers Love SMART Boards

I found this website/blog all about teachers using smartboards in the classroom, and how to use them, and how they promote them, etc. I read the most recent post about how animation is a great function of the smartboard. It said that it can grab a student's attention; animation is fun; and it can convey a concept to a student that words, still pictures, and audio cannot. I totally agree with this, however I have to agree with the two critiques on smartboards: Why I Hate Interactive Smartboards and Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative. However, I must say first that I don't have any experience with smartboards and haven't seen them in action beyond all the basics so my opinions are just logic talking.

I think that smartboards can and usually are a waste of money. And I don't think that they are ever utilized to their potential. They are bought for the schools to show the community that they are living in the 21st century, but most teachers don't have the desire or the training to use them. I think there are more cost effective options. Also, I think that creating a lesson for a smartboard or trying to figure out a lesson in your course of study to use with a smartboard could be more headache for a teacher than it's worth. And aren't smartboards supposed to be a fun and efficient use of time. I would rather have my students learn through more hands-on approaches and I think the only way I know that a smartboard is used hands-on is when kids play games on them. Yes, they would be educational games, but kids play enough "educational" games on the computer.

I love what Michael Staton said about smartboards on the first critique. He said that we need to start re-imagining what's possible! Let's stop trying to "look good" and start spending money and focusing the attention on what really matters which is making sure the student learns.

smart board

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you feel prepared to be a teacher of a networked student, because this is what we teachers will be faced with.I like your point about children with low income families not having access at home to new technology. This is something that is not discussed, but it is an important factor in education today. If we want all children to learn with technology, then we need to make sure that we allow the children to have access to technology as well as training. Great post! Good luck in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...how to use the technology around them." Well, I think they can use it without us, but maybe not effectively as part of learning.

    "... but also a disciplinarian." Is that a condition of inner-city schools and not other schools? I'm not so sure! I think it happens when students are not engaged and that happens in far too many schools, inner-city and others!

    " I know that a lot of kids coming from low income families don't have the technology at home to be able to explore all the fabulous "extras" in our society, such as blogs, Ipads, etc. Some of the kids need to just learn the basics of a computer like Microsoft Word and how to research basic information. " Check the data in the Kaiser Foundation study I quoted in several class blogs. You will find that your guess about low income families and technology is not as accurate as you think.

    "...would make a child WANT to learn." A very important element, don't you think?

    You seem to switch you position after watching the 7th grader's PLN. Am I correct?

    I generally agree with you on the smartboards. I am more cautious about reaching such firm conclusions before using something than I was before Twitter, however. After you have used them, rethink your position. It may be the same. Or different.

    ReplyDelete