Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
by Richard Miller

cloud bubble

After watching both movies, I was still a little confused as to what exactly writing with multimedia is all about, so I did a little more digging online. However, let me first comment on Mr. Miller's ideas and videos.  I think that his idea is a fresh, forward thinking, 21st century idea that more educators should start getting involved with too. He's wanting to change the way of thinking, learning, and doing from a reading and writing culture to a listening and watching culture. It makes perfect sense with all the technology that kids and teenagers use now; I'm sure their ways of thinking and learning are being adapted and changed based on all the visualization of the 21st century now. The old way was to research a paper, write it a book, publish it, and it goes into the library or bookstore. Now that same book is online for less than a $1. (He gave his book that he wrote as an example.) The new way of writing is to research everything online without having to step foot in a library and publish your book as a web based document accessible to everyone at anytime with limitless access. Also, instead of just having a document version of an article or assignment, we can now make it have videos, links, blogs, and all things interactive from the web. This is the new direction that he thinks education is going and I agree.

He made the comment that all ideas don't belong to a single person but are shared by everybody. I thought that was really interesting to think about. I understand what he means that we can learn anything and have access to anything and can know anything at any moment we want. But I still believe that an idea is owned by a single person. One person came up with an idea and shared it to the world, and regardless if we know who's idea it is or not, it's still their idea. He also said that his school is not ready to "convert" over to this new way of multimedia use because they need someone to come up with the way it would be taught, new teachers, new concepts, a new learning space, etc. Most colleges and public school systems aren't ready for this change too. Some schools are just crossing over to the technological side of the 21st century and what he's talking about is even more than using smartboards or new computers. I feel like it's a good idea but is it too much too fast? Is it really necessary? Do we really need to change our way of teaching? What's wrong with reading and studying a book? I personally think that watching videos all day and seeing interactive websites are fun, but they can get monotonous and boring after a while. 

As I mentioned previously, I did a little research as to what "writing with multimedia" really is about and I discovered an article about using multimedia with research and writing. It was called Multimedia as Composition: Research, Writing, and Creativity. It helped me understand a little better what multimedia really is and how it can be used for writing purposes. The writer of this blog Viet Thanh Nguyen defined multimedia as, "the use of multiple means of communication or expression that enables a more flexible and creative environment of learning and intellectual growth." So basically the use of multimedia is endless.  He also points out that when students are learning about literature, film, history, labor unions, the Civil War, etc. they are learning creative acts. So why do teachers make students analyze these things by writing papers that limits creativity? That is a great point and the solution should be multimedia technology use. Now it makes more sense. 


I understand the points that both professors are making--Mr. Miller and Mr. Nguyen--however I think we have a long road to go. I also don't think that there should be a complete crossover with this multimedia use. I don't know if I'm just old-school but I don't think that everything in the classroom has to be technologically focused. If I was a teacher right now I would not be prepared to do this. I am learning a great deal that will help be in the future but I think it would take me a few years before I adapted all these concepts and ideas into the classroom with my students. I think as a first time teacher I will be focusing more on just figuring out what to do in general and my main concern won't be all about the technology, although I will have a strong interest in it and will keep that in mind in the future after more teaching experience. I think this will probably come a lot more natural to the students than to me. So as Mr. Miller said that the only limits we have we put on ourselves, I will just have to break down this last barrier of doubt and just dive into it for my students and my sake.
child with computer



The Chipper Series
EDM 310 for Dummies
I thought these were great student made videos and Jamie Lynn is hilarious! Haha! I think it's sending out a great message that everyone is probably in the same boat with this class. It's something new that most of us have never experienced and it can be frustrating. However, there is a way out. I think the EDM for Dummies book would be a great resource. However, I think that would take away from us being self-learners...right Dr. Strange? Haha! We have to explore and learn these things on our own and it's not that hard if we just take the time to do it. The only thing that limits us is our ourselves! And these videos come at a great time too during midterms. It is waking me up to the fact that deadlines really do mean something and I will try even harder to make sure everything is turned in in a timely fashion. As for me making my own videos, I don't know what I would want to be a part of. I really would have more of an interest in making a video about what we've been learning and discussing in our blogs, rather than help for the class.  I think it would be cool for students to make something about our opinions about technology and if we think this new 21st century way of teaching kids that we're learning about is necessary, are we willing to be a part of it, etc. Or act out and compare a student who has been taught technology throughout their entire upbringing in school versus a student who wasn't and look at the advantages and disadvantages of when they are older and out in the working world. Although a lot might be speculation it would still be cool to see what the techno-student learned vs. the old school book learner.


book




Learn to Change, Change to Learn
I agree with the arguments made in the video and how a new way of teaching and learning for the 21st century is necessary and about to change drastically. We will be teaching our kids in a way that is way different than how we were taught as kids. But it's something we need to get used to and have an open mind about. I hope I can be involved in this new approach of learning and teaching.
These are some of the things they said in the video that stuck out to me:
Kids are having a more stimulating and rich experience outside of schools than they are inside.
Technology isn't a choice....it has emerged and is a world.
School is classroom based now when it could be community based.
We must start with the teachers if we want the students to be on a global level.
Standardized testing is a vending machine approach that doesn't parallel with the types of jobs these kids would get later.
It's about finding info...not memorizing it. That's the new 21st century. Way different than how we were raised.

The Secret Powers of Time
Drive: The Surprising Truth About what Motivates Us

clock

I LOVE both of these videos and I LOVE that Italian dude Philip Zambardo with the first video. He talks so fast but is so brilliant. I want to comment on everything but theres so much. After I write this I'm going to watch it again but it is just so GREAT! I love anything to do with time and this just caught my attention from the beginning. And I love the pictures and writing he does with it. I'm a visual learner so seeing that instead of just some man standing in front of an audience and watching their lips move helped  me and interested me so much more! I want to say 3 things about what he said: 1) I glad that I'm a future oriented person and I have my dad to thank for that. But I'm also learning to live in the moment so I'm enjoying life without being so future oriented. 2)I agree that wasting time is pointless and unnecessary....even when waiting to boot your computer. 3)If we are a family oriented country then we should have family dinners. 
Those stats he told about drop-outs and teens is just ridiculous and makes me even more passionate about wanting to help kids want to learn. This just reinforces the idea that teachers including myself will have to adapt to how they learn so they will want to stay in school.


Daniel Pink and the motivation video was also very interesting. He said if we take the money factor away then we will work better and want to work. I love that and totally agree. It makes sense. Since money is obviously a huge motivator then if you take it away and pay people enough where they aren't worried or complaining about it then they will want to work and do their best. Hmmm.....!



2 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    I agree with your blog in several areas. One of them is what you say about having all technology in the classroom. I believe that you need interaction and technology both in the classroom. I loved the Chipper series also and Yes Jamie Lynn is awesome and funny as well. We as students do procrastinate a lot and that will definitely get us in trouble. It's hard not to do when you have life... Also the drop out rate disturbed me also. I believe our society and parents are to blame for a lot of this. We have so many families that just feel like education is't important and if your family isn't backing you and helping you make decisions in your education as you grow up it's hard to be serious about it. It would be awesome to see our graduation stats to grow and hopefully new technology will interest students on a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually i think it is outstanding post. Thank's a lot for your post. Self Book Publishers Blog

    ReplyDelete